JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) – AMR ambulance operations have so far not been impacted by a Thursday morning cyberattack at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC).
That’s according to Ryan Wilson, operations manager with AMR Central Mississippi.
“We’re operating as normal,” he said. “If anything changes, we’ll change as needed.”
Hours ago, UMMC announced much of its IT system had been compromised due to an early Thursday morning cyberattack.
[READ: UMMC confirms cyber-attack, closing clinics and canceling surgeries]
As a result, outpatient and ambulatory surgeries and procedures and imaging appointments had been canceled. Clinics across the state also have been closed.
Current patients are being treated via “downtime procedures,” which includes using paper charts rather than online medical records.
Wilson said that as of 10 a.m., UMMC was still accepting patients into its emergency room, and AMR will continue to take patients there until told otherwise.
“We’re following the usual process. We’ve made crews aware [of the attack], so they can make patients aware,” he said. “It’s ultimately their decision, but we want them to make an informed decision.”
UMMC is the only Level One Trauma Center in the state, meaning it is equipped to treat the most severe injuries.
Meanwhile, officials at other local healthcare providers are ready to step in and help as needed.
Meredith Bailess, senior director of Marketing and Communications for FMOL Health/St. Dominic Hospital, says they are continuing to monitor the situation and are in “close communication with regional healthcare partners and administrators to help ensure continuity of care across the area.”
Said Bailess, “As a neighboring acute healthcare provider, we stand ready to assist should additional support be required.”
Melanie McMillan, director of Patient Relations and Community Engagement with Merit Health Central, provided the following statement:
“We have been in contact with leadership at UMMC to offer support and to stay informed as the situation evolves. Our hospital and clinic teams are actively monitoring patient needs and are committed to ensuring that patients continue to have access to safe, high-quality care during this disruption.”
Mississippi Baptist Medical Center, meanwhile, is increasing staff to support its fellow healthcare providers to help offset any surge in demand due to the cyberattack.
Said Kimberly Alexander, “Our priority is to continue providing seamless access to quality healthcare in the region.”
WLBT Assignment Editor Morgan Bridgeman contributed to this report.
Want more WLBT news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please click here to report it and include the headline of the story in your email.
Copyright 2026 WLBT. All rights reserved.
